Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Liven Up Your Life with COLOR!


Fuchsia, Aubergine, Hot Spice; Venetian plaster, Gilding, Faux Marble .... words from my journey into the world of a Manhattan Interior Designer.

Prior to a recent weekend trip to visit my aunt and uncle in NYC, I was very comfortable living in my earthen oasis of browns, reds and blues. In the past, bright, "loud" colors have always made me think of flashy, old women that retire in Florida and put pink flamingos in the front lawn. I've spent the better half of my adult life sprinting from anything remotely similar.

Needless to say, when my dear aunt Trisha - who is an Interior Designer- started telling me about her new house we were about to visit and began rambling off all these crazy, unfamiliar colors and finishes, I checked out faster than a Vegas dealer flips cards. That is, until I had the first-hand opportunity to experience life from her gilded walls.

Colors have long been known to have an effect on our body's energy. In the early 1900's Max Luscher created standard method of diagnosis based on emotional reactions to color and in India, Ayurvedic healers have used color therapy for thousands of years. It's no wonder that Trisha has boundless energy. Could it possibly be from her enthusiastic application of pink? (Was I starting to feel more lively, too?)

From the dining room (plastered fuchsia) to the living room (layered greens) to the master bedroom (gilded gold), not one inch was overlooked and every vignette had a story. More than a showpiece, her townhouse is a living work of art brimming with complimentary hues, shapes and history.

Since visiting, my pink Flamingo lady image is starting to fade and I am whole-heartedly excited to incorporate a little va-voom into my subdued, earthy life. My first project is the master bedroom, next stop, family room. Thanks for the inspiration!

To help you get color inspired, look out for the fall issue of Boulder County Home & Garden Magazine coming Oct 1st.

No comments: